Tuesday 10 July 2012

MORE THAN TWO DECADES, STILL COUNTING



Oh! It is finally here……… the rate at which my phone line buzzed with calls made me feel as if I was in Eldorado. I have never received so much calls and texts like this in my life time I guess. My last birthday was….. Oh! I can’t talk about it.
It is my birthday and I so love it. Yay!
I am so Zen………. I am the king of plans (trust me with those entire index cards hanging on my wall) but for the first time in my life, no plans! Just taking it as each second comes along and I am loving it.
I remember growing up and wishing I was older but you know those know those boxes that give you options which go from 21 – 29, to 30 - 39, to OVER 40...(as if being 40 and over was some incurable disease) gives you a kind of impression that getting old is a bad thing.
But seriously! When did getting older become such a chore and bore and fear?
I also remember those days (as if I am that old sef) that revealing your age is not a big deal for me but I now find it hard to disclose my age.It would be fair to say I am somewhere in the middle of21 – 29. I mean! Your age didn’t matter that much did it?
But I was wrong. Yes I was!
Now I understand everything, even as I struggle with a reluctance to admit how old or young I really am.
The truth is, our ages may not bother us personally, but it sure bothers society, and they are determined to put us in boxes according to our age. Not personality or ability. But age.

You can’t get into school before a certain age; you cannot work in a bank after a certain age. If you are a certain age, you should either be married, or at least, suitably upset that you are not, and when you are a certain age, then you should face your studies, and not members of the opposite sex! In some countries, permission to drink is granted based on age, and others determine criminal responsibility based on age.
Even there is something called “football age” amongst footballers you see guyz and chicks over 25 entering for an under 17 competition.
Seriously! Are they scared of their age? To me age is just numbers
If there is anything I have learnt in recent times is that it is never too late to live your dream. I have heard stories of people old enough to be my grandmother that still pursued college education and achieved it.
There is a giant difference between growing older and growing up. If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don’t do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old.
Anybody can grow older. That doesn’t require any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding the opportunity in change. Everyone has the carte blanche with their lives use yours wisely.
Enough of the pep talks jare. So here I amgrateful for the extra twelve months I marked. The new experiences learnt, the mistakes made the pain and love shared.
For those who are attempting to find out my age, don’t sweat it.I am the same age as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.
Everyone is being marvellous. On Facebook, twitter, what else……. You guyz are fab. Shout out to my parents (you rock) and my friends.
The race is not to the swift.So I will cut my next birthday cake with grace and smiles(even if I didn’t cut one today).