Friday 20 February 2015

Why You Need To Join The #Anti Bullshit Religion

Our interpretation of religion is bullshit and the fact that we are so much addicted to this interpretation is killing us.

A couple of months ago I was asked by a friend if I was religious or spiritual and which one works better and what my beliefs are? My answers came as a shock to him because I don't think he has heard anything like it and they were controversial. So I decided to draft out a thesis on how we are getting it all wrong when it comes religion and why it is bullshit.

But before I continue, I like you to know that I am a christian and I attend church services when I have the "time" to. And I am not religious, I consider myself spiritual and the only thing I believe in is faith.

Now to the article, I'd like to make it clear that faith and religion are completely different (there is a significant difference between faith and religion).

Religion was invented by people to get other people to do what they want. And it is only a useful tool when it provides a construct that re-in forces our need for hope and faith.

And faith is something fundamentally different, I don't know any words that goes with faith, or practices that goes with faith. Faith doesn't give a fuck about religion.

Faith is something deep within our genetic codes that brings with it hope. And it is faith, the practice of believing and connecting and being open and that is what I think of when I think of spirituality.

When I think spirituality, I don't think 90 days fasting and prayers, I don't think night vigils, I don't think traveling to Mecca to become an Alhaji... I don't think any of those stuffs, because they aren't spiritual (don't bite me), they're plainly religious.... Not saying they don't make sense though.

I don't really give a fuck about what your beliefs are or who you think is God or who isn't. And I also don't care that you are in a group with people of similar beliefs- religion.

But what doesn't make sense and irks me most is when you and your group treat others (people not in your group) differently.

You refuse to connect with them and you even go extra lengths by killing them because their are not willing to join your group (after forcing your beliefs on them). Or because they are in another group that doesn't mirror your own beliefs.... That's BULLSHIT!

That is a wrong interpretation of religion. And if this is how religions are meant to be, then religion is bullshit. I'd rather not be in any religion or better still create my own religion, the Anti-Bullshit religion.

I would rather create a religion where  I'm living spiritually whenever I'm doing my work. And when I do my work better which involves dancing with fear and mostly when I do it more generously, I feel like the person I hope to be.

An Anti-Bullshit religion where no one say words like "you are doing this religiously wrong". Or "you are not like us, therefore we do not like you". Or "we would not give you dignity or respect"... Because words like these  are hurtful and dangerous and some of the worst thing people do to one another.

An Anti-Bullshit Religion where we live mindfully, and find space for ourselves to connect with other people.... Now that is what spirituality means and I think that is how we are meant to live.

Break the status-quo, respect the other people's beliefs even if they are shitty, connect with them and create something that matters.


Signed
Sadiq Daniel
Spokesman for the #AntiBullshitReligion

Sadiq Daniel is a certified Crazy Writer and Teens Coach that blogs on business, Self- development, Life lessons and Ideas that challenges the status quo... You can pursue him on Twitter: @sadiqspeaks LinkedIn: Sadiq Daniel and Email: Sadiqdaniel@gmail.com